Welcome to the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service Health and Social Care Trust Website
The Northern Ireland Ambulance Service (NIAS) was established in 1995 and operates a single Northern Ireland wide Ambulance Trust with operational areas reflecting those covered by the other five Health & Social Care (HSC) Trusts.
NIAS has an operational area of approximately 14,100sq kilometres (5,600 square miles) serviced by a fleet of over 300 ambulances (Accident and Emergency and Patient Care
Service). The Trust employs in excess of 1100 staff operating from over 57 ambulance stations and deployment points throughout Northern Ireland, serving a population of approximately 1.7 million.
The ambulance services we provide are:
- Emergency response to patients with sudden illness and injury;
- Non-Emergency Patient Care and Transportation. The journeys undertaken cover admissions, hospital outpatient appointments, discharges and inter-hospital transfers;
- Specialised health transport services;
- Training and education of ambulance professionals;
- Planning for and co-ordination of major events, mass casualty incidents and disasters;
- Support for community based First Responder services;
- Stand-by at special events;
- Community Education;
- Out-of-hospital care research.